August 26, 2008

joy in learning to "jump" for joy, when we are "shut up to faith"

On Sunday evening I was the only worship leader, as the one I usually work with was on holiday, so I had the freedom to make a change. The speaker had been switched between the time of my choosing the songs and the service, and so had the topic. He spoke on Joy, joy in the midst of struggle and pain and disappointment and confusion. How appropriate, you say!! My response was to change our final song to “The Joy of the Lord is my Strength.” Everyone responded well and clapped, shouted and jumped at the appropriate times, as we celebrated our affirmation that we need to press in to experience God’s joy, and that can mean a kind of jumping, can’t it? I recognized that even in my making that choice I had jumped for joy.

Sometimes we jump and leap for joy because we are so thrilled, amazed at what has happened in our lives. That to me seems the most wonderful joy. Somehow that is the very simplest human joy, the most natural. I can hear C.S. Lewis whispering in my ear, but am not sure the exact words he would say. But I imagine they would be that even though this is indeed the height of human joy, and incredibly wonderful, yet the choice to find joy, to jump for joy, to make joy happen, may please God’s heart so much more, because it is a choice that comes out of pain and struggle. (I will check that out and see what Lewis really does say). It is a choice of obedience and faith, because it goes against our grain, against our gloom, and it relies on God’s supernatural alliance with us. Like an expression of His power being made perfect in weakness. Like choosing to be happy for others when we are sad ourselves. Most of all it seems to be about experiencing joy by giving joy, and dwelling somehow in that deeper joy that is God himself, who is the source of all joy. And it seems also to be born out of faith and trust that God has more joy in store for us, when we do not know much human joy.

Streams in the Desert, through C.H.P., whoever that was, speaks in a relevant way to this, in my mind and heart:

“God still shuts us up to faith. Our natures, our circumstances, trials, disappointments, all serve to shut us up and keep us inward till we see that the only way out is God’s way of faith. ….Dear reader, are you in some great trouble? Have you had some great disappointment, have you met some sorrow, some unspeakable loss? Are you in a hard place? Cheer up! You are shut up to faith. Take your trouble the right way. Commit it to God. Praise Him that He maketh ‘all things work together for good’, and that “God worketh for him that waiteth for him.” There will be blessings, help, and revelations of God that will come to you that never could otherwise have come; and many besides yourself will receive great light and blessing because you were shut up to faith.”

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Dear Meg,
I am one of those receiving light and blessing from your sharing of your struggles. I am encouraged today by your thought that joy is a choice. I decided to make that choice today by listening to Christian music as I go about my work. What a difference it has made!

Meg said...

Great, Brenda. I find it parricularly interesting that just after I have published a blog, then I find myself learning the lessons at yet another deeper level. God doesn't let us stop, but, in His relentless mercy, and HIs tough love, pushes us on.