August 12, 2008

joy in facing life in adult ways with childlike trust

Today was another reflective day - whether in important conversation, sorting and throwing things out, digging a trench on our garden slope, evaluating a video to use in group presentations in the business I hope to set up. The thread weaving through it all was the empowered sense of making very huge decisions on my own or with one or two others, and how adult that felt - and by saying that I indicate that there have been many times perhaps when my decision making has not felt so mature, or I have made big decisions without realizing the implications. These days the awareness of the ramifications and issues is so powerful as to be overwhelming at times. And that is where my childlike trust in God's goodness, faithfulness and sovereignty comes in. He wants me to exercise my full maturity to the extent that I can; yet He also wants me to remain in and even increase my childlike dependence upon Him. I know that I could not cope with the responsibilities I carry if I did not know I could remain a child at least with Him. That is a huge joy, an essential requirement for any kind of joy in my life. I guess it's a variation on the saying: "Work as if it all depended on you; trust as if it all depended on God."

No comments: