August 14, 2008

joy in making straight paths for my feet

Today was a day to do more concrete work about finding other forms of employment and possibly study to supplement what I am already doing. It was confusing in some ways to open up a can of worms a little and look again at various options. Yes, I am a supply teacher, and yes, I am engaged in a long term plan of study in counselling. But the first can often be aggravating, not really feel like me, and not provide enough income, and the second is such a long journey that I'm not sure how to work the two together and use my other gifts in various ways in the meantime. The Employment resource centre staff were very helpful, providing options to look at, ways of revamping my resume etc. Yet it was hard too, trying on various selves for size and asking again and again, "Who am I?". But God was faithful, ever whispering in my ear, " Make straight paths for your feet; take only ways that are firm." And in turn I was saying back to Him, "Slow and steady, get me ready", as a little child to my heavenly Father. And my dear Daddy God brought me through for today. He led me to open the page in a community college calendar to a certification I can get on Saturdays over the next school year in Teaching and Training Adults. It is simple, straightforward, inexpensive, and will open doors to using my gifts at college and industry level. I registered for the first batch of courses, and moved from a sense of floundering as I walked on the water, to feeling His solid ground beneath my feet. He has told me before that His faithfulness would entwine with my faithfulness. This was the fruit. I kept true to my vision of what He is calling me to be, and the person I believe I am and want to be, and resisted trying to bend myself out of shape to take jobs that don't fit, and He gave me back another open door which will lead me along a straight path that enhances the path I am already on. In this coming year when I cannot afford to do much in my counselling studies because of my need to work and to be near home with my girls for one more year, I now can connect the past, present and future in a straight way. This brings me great joy once again, and increases my trust in my dear Father and Saviour, and His voice within me, His Holy Spirit.

No comments: