September 08, 2008

joy in being grateful for communication technology

Flight BA0062 from Entebbe to Heathrow is in the air. Actually it left on time, but the BA website fooled me for more than half an hour giving the appearance that it was late departing. That gave me a few worried moments. But I am so glad to be able to know that it is safely launched. And an hour before it left I said goodbye to my dear girls on their last minutes of airtime on the African networked cell phone and my last minutes of Skype. I can't imagine how the trip would have been if we hadn't had that contact. I got the chance to "see" my brave girls to the departure gate. After all, they had travelled on their own for half an hour in a taxi from Kampala, leaving our friends' home at 6 a.m. their time. How could I have been sure they really got there safely without talking to them? I know Uganda so well. Anything can happen. Yet the whole trip has gone so smoothly, and I am so grateful to have had so much contact by cell phone and often by e mail. So different than when we lived there. My mother got a weekly fax from us, sent from the local post office. Mind you I was not nineteen or seventeen and she was not a fairly new Mum. So here's this doting Mum, so proud of my girls, getting to participate in their lives, show my love in a tangible way, and pray them through the next stage.

But I guess the big communication deal is really in the "air" in a different way. It's all about God's "technology", His airtime, and His power. Cellphones and internet have got nothing on Him. Never did. Thank God for that. But thank God for them anyway.

1 comment:

Belinda said...

I was thinking of your girls today too, Meg! You are three brave girls! :)

Yes, things have changed so much in terms of communication technology and how much we take the ease of communication for granted. I remember in 1969 as a young bride, coming here at 19, and we couldn't afford a phone for our first year. We relied on letters, and once I remember gathering up a huge pile of change and going to a call box to call home. I was so homesick and wretchedly miserable that first year! Home seemed so far away.