October 30, 2008

joy in little details, and accepting ourselves

The wintry sun blazes at me through the window on my left as I write. This is another chosen day to not teach so I can get more of the backlog cleared in the basement. Also I found the pain in my left foot still a nuisance as I moved around the school on Tuesday. It added to the fatigue that is still so deep within my body, emotional and physical. So I accepted all that and chose to spend a few days healing in many ways and working on the more advanced stages of sorting Mum's and my stuff in the basement. It is all a legacy of running too hard for some years.

I was excited to learn this morning in an email that my niece, whom I support financially as a YWAM staff member, based in New Zealand, has been granted missionary status for her two month furlough here in Canada in the new year. I recall the complicated arrangements we had to make for our health during our stays in Canada during our missionary years. I am so glad for her. She is out in Indonesia at the moment, doing pastoral visits to all their outreach teams, in difficult countries. What a blessing to look back over the years and remember that it was on her visit to us as a family in Uganda many years ago that she recommitted her life to Christ. God is so faithful, and she has been so faithful to Him for all these years, so earnestly seeking His will.

My daughters are praying and dreaming into their futures. One is looking in great detail at university options, and visiting them with friends around her work schedule. The other is planning her "gap year", wondering now about sailing the Mediterranean following the journeys of Paul with the Bible school network that the other daughter was part of in a castle in England last year. I am so glad they, like my niece, can find godly ways to have adventures that are satisfying to their souls in many ways.

Meanwhile I think about snow tires, boxes of stuff to be sorted, getting enough sleep, arranging house repairs with my husband, taking time to settle deep within myself in the midst of preparations for my long term studies again next year.

Enough to stay and pray in the day.

1 comment:

Brian said...

...dreams of youth, impetuous and righteous dreams. And out of which comes, in all its quiet might, the days that do in fact come, after all the potential is unburdened of expectation, and is left standing, firm, as it is and itself.