November 01, 2008

joy in God's confirmation

I couldn't have got on the computer if I had tried last night, with the girls and their friends and their plans. Even though we don't like Hallowe'en, we don't want to deprive the neighbourhood kids, so we each did our duty running to the door. Jim and I were enjoying watching Amazing Grace again, that wonderful story of William Wilberforce. I was basking in the peace of my session on the phone with my dear Spiritual Director from Tyndale, with whom I chat once a month now. We could both see the fruit of prayer and growth in my life this past month. She read from a psalm as usual and I considered quoting from it this morning, but that can wait. The main thing is that we both could feel the calm and strength that have grown in me by God's grace. It is wonderful when you have the opportunity of sharing with another who hasn't connected with you for awhile. And who has ears to hear God's voice as well. That was such a blessing.

Now I am preparing for another Georgian Adult Ed training course and need to prepare for the long early morning drive. As I sit here with my dear cat Velvet basking beside me, I rejoice with all that is so good and peaceful in my life.

Earlier this week a line from Streams in the Desert jumped out at me and I knew I would be sharing it:

"It is your business to learn to be peaceful and safe in God in every situation."

What good words those are. I guess I have been trying to live that for some time now, in many ways all my life, and what I have shared has been the struggles I have had as I worked on that. But it is also good to have it confirmed in these simple and stark, but true and helpful words from another.

May God continue to speak to each of us today, in our hearts, and in the words of others, and in His word.

2 comments:

Belinda said...

Dear Meg,
I'm catching up on reading blog posts on my favourite blogs, which includes yours. It was good to read of the fruit of peace and of God's blessing of special people in your life.

With love,

Brian said...

I really appreciate that quote from Streams in the Desert, concerning the fact that we must take upon ourselves to create that oasis of peace despite every thing in our daily lives that confront that possibility of calm and buoyant stillness.