November 07, 2008

joy in taking refuge in the Lord, and in humour

Strange contrast between these two, perhaps. They reflect my musings these days. Global issues swirl around us, local tragedies, mundane but important concerns, arranging snow tires, cleaning sheds, sorting the basement, getting supply teaching jobs, wondering when the snow is coming, planning lessons and making a portfolio, all these make up my days, along with making meals, cleaning up, all the usual stuff. We celebrate our current safety here in small town Ontario, our peace and refuge in Christ, and I make a plan to read the comics every day. Little signs of treasuring moments and making choices to stand apart from the pressures of life to get perspective.

Our refuge in the Lord gives us perspective, when all is busy and often unsettling. Reading the comics and laughing at stuff on the radio or in the paper (we don't watch TV) activates a part of us separate from our trials and preoccupations also. I remember how much my strong, often angry mother used humour to refresh us when she was dying of cancer. It was one of the ways my sister and I felt close to her in the last year of her life. We with her share that sense of humour. What a saving grace it can be for any of us.

I rejoice as I grow in the recognition of the depth of my faith and the rock that it is, and also in my humanity, in being able both to weep and to laugh, and to seek ways to use humour to help. There is a lovely Christian woman in my Adult education training courses who is a certified laughter coach!! She goes into seniors' residences and other places and teaches people how to laugh, even in a physical way, just to activate certain parts of their brains!! Cool idea. Reminds me of how God at times has given me the gift of holy laughter under special anointings of the Holy Spirit. He has known how much I need it.

I see, without expecting it, how I have made another link between taking refuge in the Lord, and laughter. Remember how Sarah laughed at the news of what God intended to do in her life. I will take another lesson from that, and "laugh at the days to come", like the woman of God in Proverbs. As I faithfully take care of my household and all that is entrusted to me, I will trust that God will enable me to laugh in the future, to rejoice.

No comments: