December 01, 2008

joy in lessons learned in Muskoka weather

I sit beside the office window that looks out on the snow covered street. My daughter and I have just returned from the school, where we learned the cancellation notice had gone out just after we left the house. Her trip to Toronto is off. Such is life in Muskoka in particular in the winter. I am grateful for being cozy inside, with lots to do. I am also more used to winter driving. Nevertheless the child in me prefers not to deal with harsh reality so much of the time. I didn't grow up here. I lived many years in Windsor, London, Hamilton, Toronto, Scotland, North Vancouver, Uganda. I am still learning to embrace and love winter. Lots of changes. I embraced rain, fog, and harsh sunlight. Now it's snow and snow and snow. How much there is to learn in life, about weather and dealing with it, let alone about everything else!!! And I have so many comforts and pleasant boundaries, even with all that is difficult for me. How much I learn as I grow older about not comparing myself with others, about seeing things from their perspective, and about not expecting them to understand mine. It becomes easier not to try to prove things, to explain things. Especially when I know that my heavenly father keeps track of it all, knows it all, understands it all. As my intimacy with Him increases, then my need to be understood by others decreases. What else works? And in time, what needs to be revealed, about myself and about others, will be. That is where the joy is. Let it snow.

No comments: