July 14, 2008

joy in Jesus the truth in each circumstance

I think of the line "Jesus, truth in each circumstance", which jumps out at me each time I hear Brian Doerksen sing "Jesus, Hope of the nations". I ponder its meaning again, and connect it with something which has just happened. Something in which I feel He showed me what is going on in a situation or a relationship and I thank Him for revealing it to me. I ponder again my gratitude for the stance taken in my counselling studies at a big Christian seminary, that "all truth is God's truth", and therefore we are not to be afraid of all that we learn "in the world" so to speak. And I am particularly grateful again for all that I learn about people and situations through my job. Not so much about learning whether things are negative or positive, or whether someone is truly a Christian or not...if I learn those things, then I learn more about how to pray for situations and people, and hopefully learn not to judge, but to love and extend grace, as well as drawing appropriate boundaries. But rather that God is a God of reality, as well as righteousness, and He wants us to be in touch with reality, to know how things happen, how people work, to see "what happens when what happens". as the saying goes in training to be a therapist, not to watch individuals so much as to see "the space between them". And of course that means the space in between me and others too. And most of all I need to remember to "build Him" out of every situation....I like what the famous poet Rainer M. Rilke said :

"As the bees bring in the honey, so do we fetch the sweetest out of everything and build Him. With the trivial even, with the insignificant (if it but happens out of love) we make a start, with work and with rest after it, with a silence or with a small solitary joy...."

No comments: