September 14, 2008

joy in knowing God's sovereignty

I lay awake in the very early hours of this morning, my body tense with the many things on my mind and heart. I enjoyed the comfort of the pitter patter of raindrops on the roof, and tried to focus beyond the trials and worries and wonderings. It seemed all I could do was sing to the Lord, and express my trust in His power and sovereignty in my life, His capacity to make all things work together for good, to sort everything out, to reveal mysteries and solve complex riddles. Out of my heart flowed the words to a favourite and well known worship song:

"My Jesus, my saviour, Lord there is none like you. All of my days I want to praise the wonder of your mighty love. "

As I sang I still ruminated on my concerns. It was like a counterpoint. Worry. Sing. Worry. Sing. Yet the deep comfort of the words was sinking in. I knew because I knew because I knew that God is in control of every facet of my life. I may feel like there are great storms in my world, even when there is peace on the outside. I may feel like I am walking on water when it is actually very solid ground. But it doesn't matter. God is in control. I am trusting Him, and living in that trust in a very tangible way. And this interchange this morning is like looking into the reality of the ongoing battle with light and darkness in my world, and in my heart. What matters is that I know God, I love Him and want Him more than anything and anyone in my life. He has been faithful, despite all that has been hard and confusing in my life. He will continue to be faithful. And I know and trust that. And so I sing.

I will quote here the rest of the words to that wonderful song. And I will look forward to singing in the choir again this morning, and to helping to lead worship again this evening. They will be times when I am privileged to sing similar words in such intentional deliberate ways that they cannot fail to strengthen me as I hope these words will strengthen both you and me today.

My Jesus, my Saviour
Lord, there is none like You
All of my days, I want to praise
The wonders of your mighty love.
My comfort, my shelter,
Tower of refuge and strength,
Let every breath, all that I am.
Never cease to worship you

Chorus:
Shout to the Lord all the earth, let us sing
Power and majesty, praise to the King
Mountains bow down and the seas will roar
At the sound of Your name
I sing for joy at the work of Your hands.
Forever I'll love You, forever I'll stand
Nothing compares to the promise I have in You.

I have just been playing various video and sound versions of this song on the internet, but don't yet know how to upload any of them to this blog site. So all I can suggest is that if you want to be encouraged in that way, then google the name of the song and play the one that suits you best. But you will likely find, like I did, that the version that plays in your own head and heart is the best.

1 comment:

Belinda said...

Oh Meg! I will make sure that I do tell our sisterhood how to upload videos. I've been so busy with company from England. Stay tuned. Instuctions are coming.