October 06, 2008

joy in seeing spiritual establishment

Yesterday's reading from Streams in the Desert spoke exactly to my situation again.

"The education of our faith is incomplete if we have not learned that there is a providence of loss, a ministry of failing and of fading things, a gift of emptiness. The material insecurities of life make for its spiritual establishment."
F.B. Meyer

These words have given me more language to describe my growth through this latest time. The inner strength and calm that have grown have amazed me, and there have been promising developments of hope for the future as well. I do not believe I could have grown this way without these struggles. They have thrown me constantly on the grace of God, and reminded me of how I still cared too much about the way the world, or others, see me and my life. And as I have embraced the pain and difficulty, I have received such blessing in the end. At the moment, it is more like a promise of blessing, but the taste of it is already sweet, and already it has taken away so much fear and doubt from my mind and heart about what God is doing and able to do in my life.

No comments: