July 31, 2008

joy in daily living and relationships

Today has had lots of events which have occupied me and given me joy in simple ways - preparing shelves out of old cupboards, talking with my sister, daughter, husband and nephew, and other friends, reorganizing and cleaning the kitchen, enjoying meals on the back porch in the summer air, rejoicing in the ever growing steps down to the river, appreciating an apology from a friend, knowing the truth about the carpenter ants at the cottage. That didn't bring delight, but it helps to know the truth, and to walk through the problem with a capable carpenter and my dear sister. All these things I have mentioned have had their bittersweet qualities, as does so much of my life at my age. Knowing my daughter leaves in a few days for Uganda is bittersweet; seeing my helpful and dear nephew leave for school next week is bittersweet. Yes, these resemble some of the treasures in the darkness. There is something in the bittersweet that is almost sweeter than the wildly blooming flowers; the rose seems more gorgeous knowing as we grasp it we may touch a thorn. My husband has just turned 81; I am approaching 60 in just over a year. Many of my conversations are with younger people these days and I am amazed to find I have wisdom and patience for them. Life from this end can seem fragile but there is a richness I experience that surprises me more each day. Fall has always been my favourite season. I love autumn colours almost the best - after all they are my fashion palette! Perhaps I am learning more deeply the beauties of the autumn harvest.

2 comments:

Belinda said...

Dear Meg,
I am a year younger than you but you seemed younger to me!

I loved your reflection on the bittersweet quality of life at this stage and this time of the year.

I find that I cherish the moments to the full as much as I can and don't take anything for granted. That's one of the gifts of our age.

Belinda said...

And I can't help seeing some parallels in my blog post of tonight. It had a bittersweet connection too!