July 03, 2008

joy in hard work, routine, simplicity and companionship

Today I was hired for the sorting sales clerk at the local Salvation Army Thrift Store. Nine 40 hour weeks of minimum wage sorting, on my feet, working hard hard hard with a dedicated team of dear people. I have so much respect for these unassuming people. Proud to be one of them, to come out of the random, alienating, permanent stranger making world of supply teaching. This is one way I can learn to relax - strange as it sounds - in this beautiful Muskoka summer I choose to do this - but God led me - my gut told me the routine would help me settle and relax - the little bit of cash would help me feel better about our situation, and the companionship of being part of a team would be healing. I rejoice that God will teach me lots this way - I believe I will get more done and relax more than if I stayed home all day, which can drive me squirrely. To everything turn, turn. This is the season for this. I thank God for His provision for me. How many lessons there are in life, and what blessing comes in unusual packages. Funny thing is, I have practically kept this store in business the years we have been in town - bought most of my clothes and many furnishings and belongings there - bought little dreams in lonely moments - retail therapy - like the garage salers who visited my carport last Saturday - all ninety of them on a rainy morning! My garage saleing days are over - I didn't take the job at the Thrift store to get more stuff - if anything I trust it will turn me off stuff even more - that's a great thing. God works in mysterious ways His wonders to perform, and we can rejoice in the truth of that cliche. Onward and upward!

1 comment:

Belinda said...

Congratulations on your job, Meg. What a wonderful perspective you bring to it. I love it. I can hardly wait to hear of your adventures; the people you meet, the surprises God has hidden for you in that humble place where he would feel at home.