October 13, 2008

joy in an overcoming spirit, with meekness

Yesterday was our Thanksgiving celebration. We were small in number, smaller than we had planned to be, but enjoyed our meal nonetheless. Sarah and Rachel had made delicious pies, my turkey and dressing and vegies turned out well, and we have more turkey leftovers to look forward to. The weather was also incredible. As we waited for guests and turkey, Jim, savouring his moments of life even more these days, sat on the back deck in the sunshine reminiscing about sunlit days in his childhood. The evening before the girls had picked a family video to share that they treasured with its highlights of delightful moments in their very early years.

Obstacles in lives of our extended family reduced our number, but we overcame in a positive spirit. My sister and I affirmed how typical that was for our family. I recalled recent conversations I have had with others about my thoughts and feelings about family "archives" and their legacy in my own life. My mentor had said to me, "That's your archival story. Yours is a family of overcomers, every last one of them." It was so obvious when it was said by another; that is the chief story to take out of my connecting with family papers and memorabilia, and comparing them with my own story. Whatever the details of careers and public achievements and recognition, I am an overcomer like the rest of my family line. I carry that spirit deep within me and I call upon it often in the midst of adversity, opposition, and confusion. That spirit was so strong in my mother during her last year that it was confusing for her that it could not defeat her cancer. Her spirit would not let her body go when she needed to let go.

And sometimes it can be anger or pride that fuels our overcoming spirits. We have to be sure that the overcoming is in line with God's plans, and with His overcoming spirit. Then we move in that spirit with meekness and gentleness, despite the strength and courage inside. I realize that was also the story I was seeking to resolve in my family - when the overcoming was done in that spirit then I celebrated it. What hurt me was when those other forces were at work as well. In our family there were both, and those I recall with the greatest joy were those who wore the mantles of meekness in their courageous overcoming.

So that is the story I carry with thanksgiving as I gather fresh strength to move on with all that challenges me and my family. Ringing in my ears are the words from the old protest song of the sixties I knew so well:

We shall overcome, we shall ovecome,
We shall overcome someday....

It is really the rest of the words that set the spirit straight in that song:

We'll walk hand in hand....

The truth shall set us free...

When we overcome in love, with a desire to walk hand in hand, and when we overcome in truth ...then we are truly walking in meekness and a strength that is worth keeping...a truly treasured possession.

No comments: