July 11, 2008

joy in the blessings from commitment

I wake again at the same hour and begin the morning routine I started with this new job. If I did not have to go to work today, on this lovely slightly rainy morning, I could go back to bed. After all, my tired muscles are making it hard for me to sleep sometimes. But because I have this job, and I am committed to getting certain things done before I go to work, like having quiet time, eating a good breakfast, phoning a friend or my daughter in Uganda, or doing Tim Horton's with my other daughter, I get up. ( with a groan). Through my haze I try to remember what I thought I would wear today. Something cool that matches my work smock, not cool as in trendy, but cool as in temperature cool. I think about that smock, and the meditation I wrote about wearing a yoke, and the positive feedback I got on my "original" thinking about the single yoke. My smock is like a yoke - really it is a pinafore, a pinny as they used to say, worn over my head, tied at the waist at both sides, with a big label of whose it and I belong to when I wear it, with pockets to carry essentials as I work, my reading glasses, kleenex, my locker key, and the colour chart for sorting clothes. It symbolizes my commitment to my job, to that discipline, that role, that way of acting and speaking. This week this "yoke" feels a bit "heavy". But already I have learned so much about myself, other people, working situations, and been blessed with bargains which will really help me.

Yesterday's meditation spoke of how God is with me. Of course He is always WITH us, always FOR us. But somehow, in the midst of this discipline that mostly is against my own inclination at this point, I feel Him WITH me and FOR me in a clearer way. My yoke then becomes of His making, as I chose it with His guidance, and received the job with His favour. Now He has the opportunity to demonstrate to me on a daily basis that He makes it "kindly" and makes the burdens "light". These are my blessings from commitment in this situation. Of course we all know them in so many other ways. But somehow this morning, thinking about His yoke, and yokes, and commitment in this way encourages me and leads me. Onward and upward!! I am a Muskoka yokey!! Ha Ha.

No comments: