July 10, 2008

joy in learning meekness (again!)

"Meekness is not weakness". I remember my friend's words as I struggle with my reactions to harshness and misunderstanding again. I find the boundaries of my situation at work force me to learn meekness and am grateful that it brings meaning out of what happens. If I responded some other way I would get into trouble in so many ways, let alone not show the character of Christ. I reflect on how much I still have to learn about this fruit of the Spirit. I compare it to the way I am taught to respond when I am supply teaching. I am glad that at least I am more comfortable in showing meekness and humility than I am in rising up in reaction and self-defence. Or am I? Is it just that I know this is the only way in this situation, and the best way? Whichever it is, I am glad that I know the way, that I have been here before many times in my life, and that Someone Who knows and loves and understands me more than anyone in the universe has walked the road before me. And since He happens to be King of the universe, I take comfort that in His time, anything that needs to be sorted out will be. In His time. As I write these words I remember the words of a song I have often sung around campfires and with children: "In His time, in His time; He makes all things beautiful in His time. Lord, my life to you I bring, may each song I have to sing be to you a lovely thing, in Your time." I have actually blended two verses in this without meaning to. But I guess my Spirit turned them into a prayer for today. May that be so for you also. I have sung many songs in my life, and continue to. I am glad that I am learning again the lesson of learning to "sing songs" in the midst of struggle and hurt. This is good. This is fruitful. May I learn more meekness today.

No comments: