July 12, 2008

joy in God answering my "whys"

Several months ago I was at a lovely worship dance event and the leaders prayed with the participants, expressing God's heart for each of us individually. One of the things the Lord said to me through them at the time was that He is going to answer all my "whys', that He delights to answer them, and that He wants me to ask Him to. I remember that this morning as I reflect, on my day off, on my various reactions this week during my settling in to the incredibly hard work, physical and people-wise, of my new job. I have wondered WHY I took the job, with my already stressful and busy life. But each day He has been teaching me so much about myself, about others, about how to deal with people, about how things happen, about this community, that I have thanked Him again and again, in my physical and emotional pain, for the job. So today, as I appreciate every single moment of a day off as I have never appreciated them before, I rejoice again at the opportunity God has given me, and at the way He IS answering my whys, and, most of all, the way He is teaching me things I need to know, the way He is filling in gaps in my human experience about interacting with people. Someone with an intelligent mind in academic pursuits can often have difficulty interacting with people, frequently being misunderstood through having big explanations for things, seeing all the nuances but sometimes missing the main point. In this job, there is only time for the correct response, the few words that hit the mark. Anything else could result in a crisis with a customer or fellow worker. So I embrace this yoke that can feel like a strait jacket at times, and say "Thank you, Lord, for this kindly yoke." !!!!

No comments: