July 22, 2008

joy in sweetening our words

Today as I meditated at work I remembered the words I used to have in a poster above one of my desks at some stage:
"Lord, may my words be sweet, for tomorrow I may have to eat them."

A very valid prayer for me. I was remembering things I said about myself in my job application, that I was slow to anger, and not quick to take offence. I evaluated myself in light of those words and according to many reactions I have had in the last few days. I felt like I had to eat my own words, and consider myself proud and angry and offended about some things and people who seem to be trying to put me down or keep me in place. So I listened to the convicting yet comforting voice of the Holy Spirit within me, counselling me in various ways. I am grateful, joyful even, in a humbled sort of way, that I continue to learn things about myself, continue to be challenged to grow, and to sweeten my words.

I hope tomorrow's words will taste better.

No comments: