July 26, 2008

joy in "careful talking"

We had Chinese last night. My fortune cookie said "Careful talking commands respect". It timed with a surprise phone call from someone who had challenged me in a church group discussion the evening before. He wanted to make sure we were okay about it, and he shared how my answer to his challenge had been as challenging to him. As I carefully reflected back to him I realized how well I had done in that part of the discussion, threatening as it was, and what a good choice I had made in channeling the discussion into another more fruitful direction. I was able to affirm that in that situation I had made some good choices. I had thought and spoken carefully. I cannot say I always do so well. A lot of my energy has gone into beating myself up for conversations I have had where I have given my power away to others, where I have talked too much, etc. etc. But knowing that God is working with me and I am growing in Him encourages me. And seeing fruit does as well.

This morning His word reminds me again of timeless truths:
Proverbs 13: 3:

Whoever controls his mouth protects his own life.
Whoever has a big mouth comes to ruin.

I have just read this to my husband and of course he has reminded me of "old Chinese proverb":

Better to say nothing and let everyone think you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

And of course there is the Wise Old Owl Rhyme. I just checked it on Google. It's obviously so timeless that it's out there in cyberspace, just like you and I.

A wise old owl lived in an oak
The more he saw the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard
Why can't we all be like that wise old bird?

2 comments:

Belinda said...

Very, very true!
And that is all I have to say about that :)

Meg said...

Yes, the less said the better!