October 20, 2008

joy in turning to each thing

I had never thought of the passage in Ecclesiastes 3 in terms of boundaries. But today I did. As I mused upon what to write about, I realized that my experience in this moment in this day and this week is one, as it is so many moments, days and weeks, of turning to the next thing that needs to be done. The capacity to do that is God given for each of us, and the peace to set aside what we have been doing and move to something else and then revisit the other things is a requirement of coping with life.

I have done a lot of thinking about boundaries lately, and I realize that there are boundaries around all these things. And as always with boundaries, they are there to keep things in, and keep things out. And that is what we need in so many ways with situations, relationships and tasks. If we have elephants to eat, we need to take them one bite at a time, and likely in small doses, with lots of other types of tasks in between.

I am grateful that today I can turn to other things. I have much to process from the worship conference, much going on with many relationships and responsibilities. I am glad that some other tasks which are important or urgent have come forward to be tended to. Focusing on them helps me to step back from the intensity of other things.

There are many aspects of the Time for Everything passage in Ecclesiastes. I am just musing on one, but I find it a helpful focus as I set about my day. May it be helpful to you too.

No comments: